Kestrel 5400 Heat Stress Tracker + Vane Mount
The Kestrel 5400 is revolutionary in size, cost and capability for those in need of measuring Heat Stress. Includes wind vane and mount for improved measurement of environmental conditions.
Updated Features Include
- Flag warnings via loud buzzer & LED beacon!
- Bluetooth LINK works with PC/Mac via dongle
- Bluetooth LINK to Smartphones / Mobiel / Android / IOS
- Takes 1 AA battery (instead of 2 AAA)
- Battery door is in the back, sealed away from the motherboard. All 5000 battery doors are the same and interchangeable.
- Slightly larger and improved higher contrast / resolution screen for any lighting (even sunlight) and easy on your eyes.
- Intuitive user-interface screen navigation
- Multiple Languages (English, French, German, Spanish)
- Scratch and breakage-resistant window
- All meters include both options of Red (NV - Night Vision) & White backlights.
- Slightly bigger, more robust, though not really noticeable difference.
- Roughly 10,000 data points. 4000 series all had under 5000 data points.
Along with having a Wet Bulb Global Temperature reading, the Kestrel 5400 displays thermal work limit (“TWL”), another recognised composite heat stress prediction tool. For both WBGT and TWL, the Kestrel 5400 provides on-screen alarms when conditions enter the caution and danger zones, providing clear and immediate guidance that heat illness prevention steps must be taken. Clothing levels can also be customised, making the Kestrel 5400 particularly useful in activities requiring heavy protective gear which worsens heat stress. The Kestrel 5400 also displays natural wet bulb temperature, and black globe temperature.
Human heat stress results from a combination of many environmental factors – air temperature and humidity along with radiant heat from the sun and surfaces, balanced by the cooling effect of breezes or air flow. Anyone who has stood under welcome shade adjacent to a sizzling parking lot understands that these conditions must be evaluated exactly where peoples’ activities are taking place. The most common composite measurement used to determine appropriate exposure to heat stress conditions is Wet Bulb Globe Temperature or “WBGT.” The American College of Sports Medicine, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, and the US Military all have published threshold limit values (TLV’s) or reference guidelines for conditions, activity levels and hydration based on WBGT, clothing levels and acclimatisation of participants.
How Does the Kestrel 5400 Work?
The Kestrel 5400 uses a 25mm black globe to gather additional information about the environment, which isn't possible with other Kestrels. As is true with the original Wet Bulb Globe Temperature apparatus, a temperature sensor is installed inside the globe that will measure the temperature inside. The temperature inside the globe is a function of the ambient air temperature, solar insolation and wind speed.
As one can imagine, a sunny day will make the globe hotter because it's painted black, and colder ambient temperatures will have a tendency to cool off the globe. Lastly, the wind will cause the globe to get closer to the ambient air temperature because it will carry heat away from the globe when the air is cooler, or increase heat transfer to the globe if the air is warmer than the globe.
The Kestrel must sit out for a period of time to allow the globe to adjust to true atmospheric conditions; Kestrel recommend a minimum of 7-10 minutes. The globe temperature is then taken into account along with other measurements, such as ambient temperature, humidity and pressure, to calculate more meaningful measurements, such as Wet Bulb Globe Temperature and Thermal Work Limit.
Reading the WBGT is important even in indoor settings where heat stress is a concern. The Kestrel has an 'indoor' setting on the WBGT setting which basically turns off the function of taking into account the direct solar radiation from the sun. It's important to place the Kestrel in a representative area of the conditions that the workers face.
Why Use WBGT as a Heat Stress Indicator vs. just using the Heat Index?
Wet bulb globe temperature (WBGT) is based on an equation that uses a combination of environmental elements to calculate the reading. The calculation is a measure of the heat stress in direct sunlight, which takes into account: temperature, humidity, wind speed, sun angle and cloud cover (solar radiation).
Heat index takes into consideration temperature and humidity, and is calculated for shady areas.
There is a difference.
Monitoring the WBGT of the environment is quickly becoming the accepted and preferred method of measuring heat stress. Several sports organizations use WBGT to assess the potential risk of environmental stress on athletes. These organisations include the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA), National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA).
Thermal Work Limit (TWL) The unit will also display a measure of human heat stress known as “Thermal Work Limit” which, is measured in terms of the heat energy a person can dissipate from their surface area in Watts per square meter (w/m2). The measurement is based upon Globe Temperature, Relative Humidity, Ambient Temperature, Barometric Pressure, Wind Speed, and four parameters specific to an individual and their clothing. 4 Settings with preset constants are pre-installed in meter.
Kestrel 5400 Heat Stress Meter
- Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT)
- Thermal Work Limit (TWL)
- Waterless! Natural Wet Bulb Temperature accurately calculated from on-board digital sensors with no tedious setup or maintenance.
- Large, hi-res, hi-contrast, graphic display is perfectly readable in the brightest sunlight and is backlit for use in low-light conditions.
- Globe Temperature
- Naturally Aspirated Wet Bulb Temperature
- Wind Speed (Current, Average, & Maximum)
- Pressure trend
- Barometric pressure
- Relative humidity in %
- Heat Stress Index
- Wet bulb temperature
- Density altitude
- Wind chill
- Air, water, and snow temperature °F or °C
- Time and date
- Easy to read backlit display
- Data Logger (automatic and manual)
- Customisable data storage - 2900 data points
- Humidity sensor can be calibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
- Customise screens to display user-selected measurements
- Graph and recall trends
- User-replaceable impeller
- Data charting
- Upload to a computer (with optional interface)
- Meets MIL-STD-810F 516.5, IP-67 sealed to exclude dust and water at 90cm. submersion
- Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
- Made in the USA
- 5 Year Warranty
Kestrel LiNK (Bluetooth)
Simple communication to Windows and Mac computers is provided through the optional LiNK .USB Dongle or USB Data Transfer Cable. Download your data to view, analyze and archive. Enables firmware update of Kestrel 5 series meters.
Kestrel LiNK for iOS & Android
- Kestrel LiNK for iOS
- Kestrel LiNK for Android
Rotating Vane Mount
The precision engineered Vane Mount securely attaches any Kestrel 5 Series meter to any tripod or other ¼-20 fitted bracket. Once mounted, the Kestrel 5 Series becomes a full-featured weather station with a large wind vane and precision pivot that keeps the Kestrel oriented into the wind for continuous measurement. The Kestrel 5 Series Vane Mount offers a sturdy one-piece boom, easy assembly, secure retention of the Kestrel meter, and the convenience of being able to also use the Kestrel mounting clip as a fixed ¼-20 compatible bracket, allowing use of an extension pole for taking wind or air flow readings.
Your Kestrel 5 series meter can be conveniently stored and carried inside the Vane Mount pouch, making it the world’s most portable weather station.
With the addition of the digital compass you can now also measure wind direction, cross wind, headwind and tail wind.
- Neck Lanyard
- AA Lithium Battery (Average Life 400 Hours)
- Protective Drawstring Pouch
- Certificate of Conformity (with complete specifications)
- Instruction Manual
- Five Year Warranty
- LiNK version also includes a sturdy zippered carry case
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.